Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Intellectual Setback

So I´m here in Panama for the purpose of learning a new language.......Spanish. As some of you may know, I also did a similar trip last year to Costa Rica, so I hope that I am learning more and more every year. Although the Spanish is coming along slowly but surely, it is certainly NOT without challenges. In this entry, I thought I would write about a few of the challenges I´m facing.

They say that the best way to learn a language is with ïmmersion¨(what I´m doing now). The cool thing about immersing is that you are hearing, reading, and speaking the language all the time. The BAD thing about this is that you generally walk around with that ¨deer in the headlights¨look. If you walk down the street, you don´t know what the people are saying around you. If you try to buy something in a store or restaurant, you don´t really know what is being asked of or said to you. If you live with a Spanish speaking family (like I am right now), you spend most of your time having NO idea what they might be talking about, including you. I try to listen for sentences that end with ¨gringo estupido¨, but other than that, I remain pretty lost as to the world around me. The result? Deer in the headlights.
The look isn´t really that big of a deal. In fact, if you are really suave, you can walk confidently, all the while ACTING like you know what is going on around you. The real problem comes in another form. The REAL problem is that you begin to FEEL stupid. Seriously! After spending enough time in an environment that is completely foreign, you really start to FEEL like a real nitwit. It´s not that you actually ARE stupid, you just start to FEEL a little dense. For example, if you find yourself involved in a discussion about a particular topic, it´s very difficult to understant what is being said, let alone participate. For me personally, there are often times when I have an opinion about a topic, or feel like I have something valuable to contribute to a conversation around me. The problem though is that there is a comlete BLOCK due to the language. Although I WANT to participate or discuss, I am simply UNABLE to overcome the language barrier. After all, how can I discuss world politics when I can´t even find the nearest bathroom? The result usually involves me trying desperately to understand what is being said, shaking my head in agreement, and throwing in the occasional ¨hmmmmmm........si......muy interesante¨.
Now I should say that if we happen to be talking about what we would like to order at a restaurant, the color of the wall, or anything that involves lots of ¨si´s and no´s¨, these are exceptions to the rule.

The good news though is that I AM learning. I started writing this entry several days after arriving in Boquete. At that time, I was REALLY feeling confused. After three weeks now, I´m feeling less and less like the town doofus. Believe it or not, I´ve even found myself contributing heavily to conversation surrounding such topics as quality of life, ancient civilizations, world politics, and of course.......Amor.
If there is one thing I´ve learned though, it´s that learning anything (especially a language) is a PROCESS. I´m deeply involved in the process right now and happy to report that I´m enjoying the process immensely. How is it possible that I can spend all day in the classroom and still have energy and enthusiasm at 4PM? How can I possibly be disappointed to be nearing the end of my class period? How is it that I can go home, work on my homework, eat, go to bed, and be excited about getting up in the AM to start the process again? Well, I´m not exactly sure, but I can say this. I´m no longer concerned if I don´t conjugate 87 verbs without making a single error. If I have a good Spanish day, it´s definitely something to celebrate. If I have a bad Spanish day, then I have a bad Spanish day. As long as I am enjoying the process while heading in the right direction, all is well.
Like I said before, it´s a process.....a journey....and although it may take some time to reach the end (if there actually IS an end) it´s a great road on which to be traveling.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hear ya Jones! That language thing is certainly a PROCESS! When I was in Costa Rica for 6 weeks, every day I had frustrations. At the store, at home with my family, at school, walking on the street. BUT hang in there. I'm sure you are learning a ton despite not feeling like you are! Immersion is challenging, but beneficial for sure. I can't wait to see your 'Spanish tongue' after a whole year of being immersed in it! :) ortega