Saturday, April 28, 2007

Urinal cakes, The kitchen nazi, Carbo loading, and a brush with exhibitionism

So I´m sitting here in the internet cafe....it´s Sunday afternoon.....and the sun is shining in Boquete. Yesterday it rained most of the day, so it´s nice to see the sun again. My short time with the host family has brought about number of funny anecdotes and misunderstandings, so I thought I would mention a few of them.

Urinal Cakes.....When I first arrived at the house the other day, I immediately noticed a very strange smell. It kind of smelled like a cross between moth balls and the Texaco bathroom. No big deal.....just a little wierd. Well, when I went into the bathroom, I was absolutely overcome with this smell of what I thought was moth balls! After a few days of this, I finally started to notice to source of this aroma. That is, after a couple of days, I started to see these things hanging around the house.....under a desk....next to the sofa......in the kitchen....everywhere! What WERE these things? Urinal cakes! Seriously! They literally are urinal cakes that are suspended on wires for easy application! Pastillas desodorantes.......deoderant pills, as the package says. And then I started to notice them everywhere. They were at other peoples houses, and they are at the school, and they are, well, everywhere! But what are these people thinking? Do they have some type of anti-microbial germ fighting powers? Do they enjoy the smell? Do they find it desirable to have a house wreaking of öde de port-a-potty¨? I may never know.

The Kitchen Nazi.......A couple of days ago, Aldair (the 12 year old) started acting wierd. Before that, he was pretty nice to me, we would hang out a bit, chat, he would play games on my phone.....whatever. All of the sudden, things were different. He seemed angry about something. He would barely talk to me. He seemed to avoid me. I don´t know, I couldn´t figure out what was going on.
Anyway, yesterday, I returned home with a yogurt I had just purchased from the store. After getting permission from the dad to eat a banana from the fruit bowl, I enjoyed a little snack. As I was washing the bowl, I was severely reprimanded by this kid for eating food without permission. WHAT? Well, after I figured out what he was upset about, I assured him that I HAD indeed bought the yogurt and DID in fact have permission for the 2.5 cent banana. He mellowed out a bit.
After this little event, I remembered that he had been acting wierd ever since I had gotten a little ice cream (literally ONE spoonful) from the freezer the other night. I also remembered that he had acted a little wierd at the time, but I had not thought much about it. Well, apparently, this is a touchy subject for him. But maybe it´s not just a touchy subject for HIM. I´m starting to think that although they seem happy to provide the two meals per day as stated in our contractual agreement, outside of that, the kitchen is OFF LIMITS to me. There is no such thing as a between-meal snack around there!

Carbo loading.....Speaking of food, I want to mention that the food is actually really good at the house. Juanita is a great cook, and I generally enjoy the meals. That being said, I will also say that it´s a good thing I´m not on the Atkins Diet. I say this because it´s not uncommon for my dinner to consist of rice with a side of potatoes with a side of pasta with a side of plantanes. Now that´s a lot of carbs, even for me!

Jason the Exhibitionist......So the other day, after a nice run, I decided to take a shower. Upon turning on the water and ¨getting ready¨ to jump in, I realized that I had forgotten my shampoo in the adjascent bedroom (my bedroom). Knowing that the mom and the kid were at the store, and that the dad was in his room with the door closed, I didn´t think it would be a problem to simply donn a towel and retrieve the shampoo. Unfortunately for me, as I was making my way back to the bathroom with shampoo in hand, I met the dad in the hallway. I said a quick hello, and went in to continue my shower.
Later that night, while we were all eating dinner in the dining room, the dad made it very clear to me that it was NOT acceptable to walk around the house without clothes! Oops.
Of course, being a guy who doesn´t even like to take his shirt off at the beach, I had to laugh. Maybe I had become like the European girl in high school who thought it completely appropriate to sunbathe topless at my church youth camp.


Aahhhh....you have to love the culteral differences.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hola, Yason,:)

I'm home again after 10 days of caregiving. I have an idea about the urinal cakes. Hmmmm Tell me what you think, but I'm guessing that the odor is to keep snakes away. Why not ask someone about this unusual deodorizer? I'm very interested.
Yo te amo.:)
Tu Madre, Evita

Anonymous said...

Hola, Yason,:)

I'm home again after 10 days of caregiving. I have an idea about the urinal cakes. Hmmmm Tell me what you think, but I'm guessing that the odor is to keep snakes away. Why not ask someone about this unusual deodorizer? I'm very interested.
Yo te amo.:)
Tu Madre, Evita

Connie Strasheim said...

Jason,

Wow, do you feel like you are in a nazi camp? JK!
I just wanted to throw in my insight about the food...It has been my experience in LA countries that eating is a communal activity, and that taking food when it's not offered to you might be a tad rude...no me preguntes por que! But, when I lived in Buenos Aires, I realized I'd starve unless I ate in between meals...I couldn't explain to my host family that my body needed more calories than they provided--or at least, that I was used to eating more--and so I kept snacks in my room al escondido...
Yeah, food is a funny thing...
Also your little bro may have wondered why you didn't offer him food..
It's customary in LA and other part s of the world, if you eat in front of others, to offer some of what you have to them...you might try that next time! :)
Thanks for the entertaining posts. I am traveling vicariously through you! he he

BRodda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
BRodda said...

Hey Jason,

It's great to read your posts! Urinal cakes and meat grissle stew sounds like a bad combination. I hope the weather cooperates for a little adventure as well as language school. Keep sneaking the ice cream, it makes life a whole lot sweeter!

Brian

Anonymous said...

Mayo 1, 2007
Congratulations, Uncle Yason!!!
Baby "Pax" arrived in Colorado Springs tonight around 6:46 P.M.,
Mtn. time zone. He weighed 7 lbs. 7 oz., and is 20 inches long.
He has lots of dark hair, and beautifully pink skin. Jeremy said, "He is just perfect!" We are so very thankful. We prayed mucho!!!:) Jeremy will e-mail soon, but they are at the hospital until later tomorrow. He asked me to let you know.:)
Tu Madre, Evita/Mimi

Anonymous said...

WSup froh-boy; you should've shaved your head before heading south, a cool do-rag, some good sun block..very in tune with minimalism I think. But, I imagine that expense is at least 1/3 the cost there than here so support your local barber. When I volunteered in the FD on LI I recall many rescue calls for the elderly in their homes wherein the odor of moth balls permeated. Was the call induced by a med, lack of the same, some other condition or LT exposure to that smell? It's a mystery.. Let me know if I can ship you some Febrez to at least mask the decay your nasal functoning, albeit temporarily ;) I think Connie was right about the kitchen-nazi; perhaps you should've shared; selfish boy that you are. My cousin in CO is half Colombian and he get's this issue with his family there all of the time. They expect him to bring gifts for all when he visits that nation, it's so frustrating for him. A refrigerator magnet of the state of CO just doesn't cut it! I'll include with the Febrez some chocolate bars to appease the boy, but then I'll need to send toothpaste too, and a brush, floss, and well I might as well begin to support dentists international considering the boy's teeth will likely rot in a year or two from our beloved American fare; after all it is our way... all in fun! Hope you're doing well and find more diversity in the meal plan before your time there is up. Pete Meyer