Saturday, May 19, 2007

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

So today is Saturday, and I finished up my classes yesterday. Before heading back to Panama city in the AM and then back to the US on Monday, I thought I would write a few LIKES and DISLIKES I have noticed in the last month. Over all, my experience with the people, culture, etc. has been overwhelmingly positive. BUT, I do want to be honest about my observations.

I think I´ll start with the GOOD.

1. Tthe people here are really great. They are relatively simple (that is NOT a reference to mental capacity) and very warm. Other than the little mix-up with the first host family, I have had nothing but positive interactions with the Panamanians, and their hospitality has been GREAT!
2. Another thing I have appreciated is the simplicity of life in Central America. I know I just used the same word to describe the people (simple), but every time I come to this part of the world, I am struck by this fact. It´s not that they don´t have wants, desires, etc. It´s just that these desires seem to be on a much lower level than I find in our American society. For example, it´s OK to...........have a small house, ride the bus, live WITHOUT ïn-home¨high-speed internet-satellite TV-video game system, live without large amounts of money in the bank, and to live without an insatiable desire to have and consume MORE. There tends to be an understanding that one CAN experience joy and happiness outside the realm of material wealth. Man that´s refreshing!
3. I LOVE the fact that I can eat ANY meal for 1-2 dollars!
4. I´ve really enjoyed being able to focus on learning for the last month. In other words, while being here, I haven´t had to worry about anything other than learning the language and enjoying life in Boquete. It´s nice to simplify my own life that way, and I suppose that´s what vacation is really all about.
5. Other than the COST of the food, I also really LIKE the food. I seem to have an eternal reservoir for rice and beans.
6. Cold showers. OK so this one will make both lists. BUT, after two weeks of extremely cold showers, I think I´m adjusting. Don´t get me wrong......I´m not ready to throw out my water heater upon returning home, but I AM starting to find them relatively refreshing.

So, overall I have enjoyed the people, the food, the society, the way of life, and my laid back lifestyle. BUT, I want to also be honest about a few things in the NEGATIVE column that I have noticed.

1. Being a dog owner who considers his four legged friend a menber of the family, it´s always difficult for me to appreciate the attitude towards dogs in Central America. For the most part, they simply roam the street, fend for themselves, and try not to get hit by traffic. They look horrible (skin and bones) and sad as they are a forgotten disregarded part of society. Nobody cares.
2. The indegenous population that lives in the surrounding hills has an interesting and fascinating culture. BUT, I have a hard time with one aspect of their society. On the weekends, after drinking heavily in the local bars, the men stage weekly fist-fights to settle their differences, decide who get´s a particular woman, etc. Apparently they are generally friends following these beatings, but I don´t want to see bloody people walking the streets. Besides, haven´t we moved beyond this primal approach to settling our differences? NOT a fan.
3. Speaking of men and their culture, I also have a hard time with the way the men of these Latin American countries seem to treat and view women. Of course, this is a generalization, but as women walk down the streets (especially the blond girls from the states) the men whistle, gawk, cat call, comment, etc. I don´t mean that women get this treatment solely upon wandering by the local construction sight, I mean CONSTANTLY......ERERYWHERE! Ít´s very normal and seemingly accepted aspect of society. In fact, I´ve witnessed this phenomenon with girls as young as 10-12 years of age, so apparently it starts pretty young.
Along with this, there seems to be a high level of infidelity and abuse on the part of the men. Although it is changing, this also seems to be pretty normal and accepted thing.
I find this aspect of society not only unhealthy, but degrading and disrespectful. If you ask me, these (all) women deserve better.
4. Hubilados-Retirados. These are the terms for retired people. Remember my brush with this culture? Someone pointed out to me that I seemed a bit hard on these people. Sorry about that. It certainly wasn´t my intention. I was simply trying to make light of my experience and I had NOTHING against these folks......at the concert that is.
I DO however have a problem with this culture around Boquete. Again, I´m making a generalization, but I really AM disturbed by what I have witnessed from this community. For the most part, although these people say that they want to live in Panama, I believe they really just want to live in the US while living in Panama. I could easily write a book on this topic, so I´ll try to keep this short. I don´t like the way this community builds large US ïslands¨ behind even larger walls of stone. I hate the attitude of ¨the Panamian people are NOT our equals and our friends, they are our employees¨. It bothers me when people want to live in this part of the world without making ANY effort to learn the language. It bothers me even MORE when they not only expect the Panamians to learn English, but become very frustrated when they fail to do so. It bothers me when they expect the Panamanian culture to conform and cater to THEM solely. I´ve witnesses MANY examples of this but for the sake of time, I´ll end this little rant. Except to say this.......of all the local people I´ve asked, they seem to agree with me.


So, those are just a few likes and dislikes I´ve noticed over the last month. Like I said, I´ve really enjoyed my time here and would certainly enjoy a return visit in the future. We´ll see how it goes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

4:00 P.M., Sabbado in Atlanta

Hola, Yason,

Is that correct spelling for Saturday?:) I'm just going to get my car washed. It looks like I've been driving down to Panama! Well, not that bad really, but I like to keep my Honda in mint condition.:) Tu padre y yo are going to the Food Court for dinner
with our friends tonight. We don't like to spend alot of dinero for a meal either! Could it be that you are like your parents!!!:)
Oh my! What a scary thought!!!!:)
Call us from Houston on Lunas.
O.K.?
Tu Madre/Evita:)